Category: Technology & Media

Media & Tech Committee Minutes

OC Media & Tech Committee Meeting Minutes for 9-April-2012
 

  • Peter suggested the group get involved with setting up Mesh-net nodes

    • Distributed, free, internet replacement
       

  • Wayne mentioned needing help with the IMC Yard Sale

    • will hold a Thursday meeting at Gaia House

    • group decided on May 5th (Saturday)

    • Matt will make a flier for IMC Yard sale, needs to be distributed

    • it was suggested to have a yard sale at Makanda Spring Fest (?)

    • end goal is to get the IMC back room clean 

    • back up plan of donating things Salvation Army

    • good for community outreach 
    • it was suggested to have a reoccurring yard sale
  • Teach-ins for Occupy issues

    • volunteering

    • homelessness (John)

  • Occupy Carbondale Radio

    • still broadcasts 12 -2 on Wednesdays

  • Wayne proposed a regular workday time for IMC stuff

    • Wednesday 4:30pm – 6:00pm start-time

  • Gaia House website workday(s)

    • Thursday 6pm, Sunday whenever

    • mod_wsgi ?

    • Getting Pyramid working on an Apache server (deployment)?

  • Meeting adjournation

Intro. to Linux & How to Install Linux Teach-ins

Introduction to Linux, a teach-in from the Media & Tech Committee

2012-1-27 Media/Tech Committee Meeting Minutes

  • Linux Teach-In moved back one week to February 11, 2012. Rationale: Give us more time to do research and prepare, advertise for teach-in.
     
  • Discussed new, more realistic monthly schedule for teach-ins:
    • week1: major teach-in
    • week2: no teach-in (IT workday?)
    • week3: discussion of week1 topic
    • week4: no teach-in (IT workday?)
       
  • Peter & Wayne talked with City Manager about Carbondale wireless. Here’s the scoop: 
The City of Carbondale does not want to deal with Carbondale Wireless any longer and will either be contracting the work out or turning it off to cut costs. Here’s what we can do: We need to get in touch with various departments at SIUC and John A Logan to try to get them in touch with the City of Carbondale to set up a student internship at City Hall which would aim to take care of the wireless network management. Also, it would be a good idea to do research on the possibility of a grant which would facilitate the establishment of this position.

January 21 2012 Occupy Carbondale Media/Tech Committee Teach In Number the First

 

2012-1-04 Media/Tech Committee Meeting Minutes

  • Group Assembled, 8:30ish at Gaia House-Interfaith Center
    Present: Wayne, Kara, Matt, Peter
     
  • Call to Order
     
  • Approval of Agenda

    No one disputed the agenda.

  • News/Announcements
  • Individual Progress Reports
  • Wayne is setting up virtual machines on hid computer for use in teach-ins.
  • Discussion
  1. Group discussed issues with machine setup for demonstrating software during future teach-ins.  Lack of appropriate computers a problem.
  2. Peter mentioned that he may be able to offer a computer for demo.
  3. Individual machine setups vs. dual booting vs. virtualisation was discussed.
  • return to News/Annonuncements

    The group returned to discussing news and announcements.

  • New or updated news items
  • SOPA update — House is on break for the holidays, will bring the bill up in the coming weeks.
  • PIPA, OPEN also discussed.
  • return to Discussion

    The group returned to general discussion.

  1. Wayne suggested doing a ‘Media’ teach-in.  How to interpret and react to legislation.
  2. Organizing teach-ins
    • Need to figure out possible dates and order
    • Free Software teach-in considered by group as logical first event
    • Dates proposed and scheduled for teach-ins
      1. Free Software teach-in – January 21st, 4:30pm at Independent Media Center– first Saturday after classes resume
      2. Intro to Linux teach-in - January 28th, 4:30pm at Independent Media Center
    • Peter mentioned the Recreation Committee and that a teach-in would need to be schedule around their (potentially) already scheduled activities.
    • Kara expressed concern over the magnitude of happenings that day and the need for scheduling times that are most convenient for people participating in other events.
  3. Alternatives to Google Docs considered
  4. Internet at IMC
    • still pending
    • little or no response from WDBX about Internet sharing
    • possible issues resulting from lack of Internet brought up in regards to teach-ins with demonstrations
    • Matt suggesting asking the City govt., a business, or Main Street organization to help
  5. Group Adjourn
  6. Individual and Small Group Projects

    No small group work this week.

2011-12-28 Media/Tech Committee Meeting Minutes

Matt Coleman, Wayne Warren, and Peter Sussman collaborating through gtalk and facebook chat:

2011-12-21 Media/Tech Committee Meeting Minutes

Talked About:

  • a specific, on-going effort someone (?) is engaged in to post current news stories on a blog; note-to-self: find out more about this

Ideas:

  • Need to get an IRC channel going for remote participation in meetings
  • Need to organize, set dates, and advertise for the Teach-Ins. Suggested “class” outline.

2011-12-07 Media/Tech Committee Meeting Minutes

  • Break off from Media Committee?
    • No. The “media” aspects of the media and tech committee could be taken care of within the first half hour with the balance of the time spent working on tech committee matters.
    • Also, if the “media” folks do not wish to join, they can as a committee set their own time and the technical side can keep regular “working group” hours that do not require the permission of the rest of the group.
  • Discuss LibrePlanet Team
    • freeculture.org : chapter-based student organization group for free software advocacy (Action Item: Pete, talk to ACM and other computer science students and professors to gauge interest, collect signatures for RSO petition)
    • libreplanet.org : is thing on? hello? <cricket chirping>
  • Teach-In, Mid-January:
    • Offer Users a choice of operating systems to convert. Have computers set up for folks to try out during Teach-In. Use Wayne’s desktop computer to forward X11 connections from the following different distributions (action item for Wayne):
      • Mint
      • Ubuntu
      • Fedora
  • Next Meeting: Wednesday, Dec 14, 2011 @ Gaiahouse or IMC
    • no internets at IMC, so bring all the files you need if you plan to work on a project!
    • tentative agenda:
      • progress reports: Wayne (virtual machines & x11 forwarding), Pete (RSO status)
      • come up with tentative teach-in schedule to introduce folks to free software