Category: Minutes

Media & Tech Committee Minutes

OC Media & Tech Committee Meeting Minutes for 9-April-2012
 

  • Peter suggested the group get involved with setting up Mesh-net nodes

    • Distributed, free, internet replacement
       

  • Wayne mentioned needing help with the IMC Yard Sale

    • will hold a Thursday meeting at Gaia House

    • group decided on May 5th (Saturday)

    • Matt will make a flier for IMC Yard sale, needs to be distributed

    • it was suggested to have a yard sale at Makanda Spring Fest (?)

    • end goal is to get the IMC back room clean 

    • back up plan of donating things Salvation Army

    • good for community outreach 
    • it was suggested to have a reoccurring yard sale
  • Teach-ins for Occupy issues

    • volunteering

    • homelessness (John)

  • Occupy Carbondale Radio

    • still broadcasts 12 -2 on Wednesdays

  • Wayne proposed a regular workday time for IMC stuff

    • Wednesday 4:30pm – 6:00pm start-time

  • Gaia House website workday(s)

    • Thursday 6pm, Sunday whenever

    • mod_wsgi ?

    • Getting Pyramid working on an Apache server (deployment)?

  • Meeting adjournation

GA meeting minutes 3/21/2012

Announcements: reminder about the art and revolution teach-in happening this sunday the 25th.

short discussion about chicago g8. Need to coordinate people interested in going. a signup sheet has been started and is at the imc. It was suggested that we start a bail fund to have ready just in case. A suggestion was made that we use the money raised at the social forum but since we did tell people donating that the money was for the bills at the imc it may seem misleading to use it for another purpose.

Will has been involved with occupy chicago and offered to contact people there about what the plan is for that weekend.

We also need to see if we can get hooked up with places to spend the night since police will more than likely prevent any occupation with tents.

Jasmin mentioned having a teach-in beforehand to prepare people for direct action and safety measures, first aid, etc. Kara is compiling info on teargas and pepperspray that might also be helpfull. it would also be a good idea to get info on a persons rights during arrests. If anyone wants to help with this teach-in please contact jasmin or kara.

also discussed was the house of rep bill 347 (“anti protest bill”)that obama recently passed which makes protesting where an official protected by secret service is present a federal violation which will surely come into play during the g8

1/25/12 GA minutes

Announcements:

  • reminders of events this weekend- film showing friday at 7:30 will be “the Take”. Saturday the People’s Preliminary Hearing on Monsanto will be from 11am-3, potluck starts at 6, bands start at 8pm, Sunday the presentation starts at 2pm.
  • the media/tech committee will be meeting on thursdays (instead of wed) 8:30 pm at the Gaia house. The teach-in on saturday went well and they are planning the next teach-in which will be on Linux
  • Peter has been preparing for occupy radio and is looking for a team of about 7 people to help. Anyone interested please contact him.
  • A newcomer, Will, just moved here from Chicago where he was involved in occupy. He wanted to mention that he is going to SIU and wants to get the rso: students for peace and democracy started again and is looking for students who would be interested.
  • gaia house is really struggling to keep it’s doors open. they were very hospitable to us while we were occupying on campus and we should get involved in helping them. Anyone interested in helping them with some fundraising ideas would be much appreciated.
  • anyone who wants to submit comments to the Shawnee Forest service about the proposed landswap can e-mail  tocomments-eastern-shawnee@fs.fed.us

Discussion:

  • question of whether or not anyone is still protesting at the federal building and should we take it off the calendar? No one seems to be showing up anymore so it will be taken off the calendar.
  • Will had posted several times on the occupy carbondale facebook page trying to get info about us and never got a response. It seems we need admins who are able/willing to put some time into the page. peter is going to add kara as an admin.  Anyone else willing to step up and take over let us know.
  • Suggestion was made for us to start planning for a big rally here in town in early spring to raise awareness of occupy carbondale and that we ARE still around.
  • Occupy Chicago is hoping for a huge demonstration during the G8 and nato summits in May. We need to organize interested people from the area and hopefully get a group together to go up there for at least a few days.
  • same with the midwest summit happening in stLouis in April? Both will be a great opportunity not only for direct action but also networking with occupiers in other places.

Proposal:

Peter attended a meeting at gaia house with the board members and he explained the situation is that they are down 62% of their funding. They are about a month and 1/2 from having to shut down. There is going to be a very important stakeholders meeting on Saturday Feb 18th and it was requested that occupy carbondale have a presence there. Since this is the time of our scheduled general assembly, peter proposed that:

    on the day of feb 18th, we change the location of our general assembly to the Gaia house.

Some discussion: this is mostly a way to get more occupiers to be at gaia house for the meeting and is also a symbolic gesture of solidarity with gaia house, who was incredibly generous to the occupiers by giving us full accesss to their facilities while we were camping out on campus. We could just hold a quick GA at gaia and then join them for the stakeholders meeting. 

Vote: all were in favor. (this change to our GA needs to reach consensus in another GA to be be officially passed. Peter will bring this to a vote again at this saturday’s GA)

 

General Assembly Minutes 10 DEC 2011 (1 PM)

Main Facilitator: Joe. Stack: Dan. Minutes: Katy

GENERAL DISCUSSION

PROCESS: Introduction to Consensus

  • The main facilitator explained our consensus decision-making process.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • On Saturday, Jan 21st there is going to be a People’s Tribunal about the corporation Monsanto and their practices. This is going to be held in the law courtroom in Lesar Law Building on SIUC campus. Sarah will share more information as it becomes available.
  • Tonight, Dec 10th is the Gaia House’s 1st Annual Interfaith Holiday Bash: Christmahanukwanzadan from 6-11 pm. This is a major fundraiser for Gaia House. The cost is $10 at the door and includes food, drinks, raffles, and entertainment from S.I.W.A.D.E, Kid Tiger, and Nile Breeze Dance Company!
  • At 2:30 pm today, following the GA, the Recreation Committee is having a teach-in on mending clothing. Please join them and bring your clothes that need mending!
  • There is going to be a show on Wed, Dec 14th with bands, short films, performance art, and visual art at 8 pm at the IMC.
  • The Outreach working group will be meeting at the IMC on Tues, Dec 13th at 6 pm. All are invited.
  • On Thurs, Dec 15th we will once again be protesting at the Federal Building in Carbondale from 12-1pm. Please share this event with your friends.
  • Marilyn would like to thank everyone who came to the Peace Coalition’s vigil for UN Human Rights Day today!
  • The next New Humanist Forum will be on Sunday, Jan 15th at the Carbondale Unitarian Fellowship, 105 N. Parrish at 12:15 pm. Rich Federer will be speaking on the topic of corporations are not people.
  • Reminder to please write all events on the calendar located in the IMC so that everyone who might be interested can see them.
  • Anyone who wants to be added to the Occupy Carbondale Google Group should add their email to the sheet being passed around during the GA. The invitation will appear in your inbox as being from the Group.
  • Ashley has been in contact with Occupy Springfield and Occupy Chicago. 2 of Occupy Springfield’s members were arrested and fined $500 for chalking on sidewalks even though there is no city ordinance against chalking. Rich Whitney stated that one of the occupiers was charged with defacing public property and that he is currently in the process of getting copies of their citations in order to offer them legal advice. If you would like to express concern, please call the Springfield Police Dept at 217-788-8311. Occupy Springfield has also posted some interesting videos about what they have been doing on their website (OccupySpringfield.org).
  • The group Occupy Congress is planning an event called Million Tent March for Jan 17th, the Tues after MLK Jr Day. Dan has done some research and it would cost about $244 dollars roundtrip on Amtrak to go to DC. He will keep us updated and is planning to go if the event happens. It was also suggested that it might be possible to fill a bus which would cost about $65 per person.
  • The next meeting of the Human Relations Committee will be Monday, Jan 9th at 6:30 at the Carbondale Civic Center. This is one of the advisory boards to the city council.
  • The next meeting of the Sustainability Committee, another advisory board of the city council, will be on Thursday, Dec 15th at 6:30 pm at the Carbondale Civic Center.
  • We will be having Film showings every Friday at the IMC. For now, they will be at 5:30 pm.
  • We need rugs for the drumset for the show at the IMC this Wednesday. Please contact Ashley if you have a rug you can donate or loan.
  • Ashley would like to organize a radical Christmas carolers group. Anyone interested, please see her.
  • There is going to be a Meet and Greet with the new WDBX board members tomorrow, Dec 11th from 5-8 pm at the Township Hall.
  • Gaia house has a garden which was not used this past year.

DISCUSSION

NOTE: The following notes are a summary of points brought up during the new discussion section of the GA. All thoughts are those of individual attendees of the GA and are NOT official statements of Occupy Carbondale.

  • Charlie Howe told the group about an author named John Michael Greer who was recommended to him by Bill Perk. Greer wrote a book called, “The Long Descent,” about peak resources whihc he recommends we read. Ashley also suggested the book, “The Long Emergency: Surviving the End of Oil, Climate Change, and Other Converging Catastrophes of the Twenty-First Century,” by  James Howard Kunstler which inspired her to become a bike commuter.
  • The topic of the community garden was brought up. Per Kyle, Jason is working with the city to get this started but it will likely be some months before this is established. Reminder of the importance of learning to grow our own food.
  • Aaron would like to do a teach-in on MAP model for developing goals and measuring movement towards goals and is wondering if people would be interested. He would be open to help if anyone is interested.
  • One of the challenges of our occupation is that we do not have any visible symbols of the 1% here, the closest thing would be the Federal building. The government is not really the problem, the problem are the poweres manipulating it. We should join other occupations in major cities for their actions. We should also be a presence at candidate forums for the upcoming elections, raising important issues and researching where candidates are getting their money. This is not yet actionable but should be thought about.
  • There are some representations of the 1% in Peabody Coal and Ameren. However, these are not very visible symbols.
  • The Big Muddy IMC is not just limited to Carbondale but the whole rural community. We need to create positive forward movement; “protests” can feed into negativity. Going to DC for protests may take energy away from things we can do in this area.
  • Anyone interested in farming can come to Hollow Pumpkin Farms and they would be happy to teach you. See Fran for more info.
  • We need to have more radical action like general strikes, mortgage strikes, not paying income taxes (fueling the war machine).
  • We need to make this a narrative. Where do we want to be 2 months down the road? 1 year?
  • We need to set plans and goals within the group even if they are not publicized.
  • Idea to go to Walmart, spread out and Mic check. Could also do a flash mob/carolers.
  • Idea to possibly try to support the labor dispute with Long John Silvers in some way.
  • There is an organization called Project Vote Smart which collects information regarding campaign financing for all candidates.
  • Everyone is encouraged to sign petitions against the Detention Act and write Congress.

 PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: Cancel the General Assemblies currently scheduled for Dec. 24th, 2011 and Dec. 31st, 2011.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus
  • Note: This proposal, which concerns the structure of the GA process, has now passed the required 2 GAs and is now in effect.

PROPOSAL:  Eliminate from the consensus process the first “Intervention” step and the vote that follows it, so that if a proposal is blocked in the first vote (following the discussion) the process goes straight to small group discussions.

  • Discussion: The main reasons for this change are to streamline the process and to allow more voices to be heard in the group discussion, as opposed to the interventions. Some expressed that they felt the group was already a small group discussion, however others felt that even smaller groups were important for less dominating voices to be heard.
  • RESPONSE: Consensus
  • Note: This proposal, which concerns the structure of the GA process, has now passed the required 2 GAs and is now in effect.

PROPOSAL: Turn off the lights in the IMC during the GA.

  • Discussion: Facilitator suggested that we put up signage encouraging everyone to be energy efficient but this does not need to be a proposal. The lights were turned off.
  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn

PROPOSAL: Adjourn

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

SUMMARY OF CONSENSUS

  • The General Assemblies scheduled for Dec. 24th, 2011 and Dec. 31st,2011 are cancelled.
  • The first “Intervention” step and the vote that follows it are eliminated from the consensus process. If a proposal is blocked in the first vote (following the discussion) the process goes straight to small group discussions.

General Assembly Minutes 7 DEC 2011 (7 PM)

Main Facilitator: Dan. Stack: Danielle. Minutes: Joe

GENERAL DISCUSSION

PROCESS: Introduction to Consensus

  • The main facilitator explained our consensus decision-making process.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • We will hold “Recreational Day” at the Bucky Dome site near the corner of 51 and Grand on Friday, Dec 9th from 12pm-2pm.
  • The Outreach Working group met on Tuesday. The meeting minutes are posted at CccupyCarbondale.org. We will be meeting every Tuesday at 6pm at the IMC (214 N. Washington St.)
  • On Thursday, Dec 8th from 12-1pm we will be marching at the Federal Building in downtown Carbondale. Please join us!
  • On Friday, Dec 9th at 5:30pm we will be showing the film, “Metropolis” at the IMC
  • There will be a special Human Rights peace vigil at the Town Square on Saturday, Dec 10th from 12pm-1pm. The Peace Coalition is calling for 30+ people to hold signs stating the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
  • This Saturday, Dec 10th, following the GA, at 2:30pm there will be a teach-in on sewing/mending clothing. Bring clothes in need of care.
  • American Voices meets every 1st Thursday of each month at 6pm at Spinoni’s. This is a good opportunity for outreach.
  • Ashley is planning an Art Show for next Wednesday, Dec 14th following the GA.
  • Last Sunday’s live music show made $20 for IMC utilities.
  • The Sierra Club is having a picnic at Giant City on New Year’s Day at Shelter 2 from 11-3pm. It is a potlatch. There will be soup.

PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: Add a general discussion session of approximately 20 minutes to the GA agenda so that meetings will proceed as follows: 1) Announcements, 2) Discussion, 3) Proposals, 4) Adjournment. 

  • RESPONSE: Consensus
  • Note: This proposal, which concerns the structure of the GA process, has now passed the required 2 GAs and is now in effect.

PROPOSAL: Change the consensus process to include a discussion of the proposal after clarifying questions and before the first vote.  

  • RESPONSE: Consensus
  • Note: This proposal, which concerns the structure of the GA process, has now passed the required 2 GAs and is now in effect.

PROPOSAL: Cancel the General Assemblies currently scheduled for Dec. 24th, 2011 and Dec. 31st, 2011.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus
  • Note: Since this proposal concerns the scheduling of GAs, it must be brought up and passed at another GA.

PROPOSAL: Eliminate from the consensus process the first “Intervention” step and the vote that follows it, so that if a proposal is blocked in the first vote
(following the discussion) the process goes straight to small group discussions.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus
  • Note: Since this proposal concerns the structure of GAs, it must be brought up and passed at another GA.

PROPOSAL: Adjourn

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

SUMMARY OF CONSENSUS

  • A general discussion session of approximately 20 minutes will be added to the agenda of the General Assemblies so that meetings will proceed as follows: 1) Announcements 2) Discussion 3) Proposals 4) Adjournment.
  • The consensus process will now include a discussion of the proposal after clarifying questions and before the first vote.
  • The following two Proposals were passed, but will need to pass another GA before taking effect:
    • 1. Cancel the General Assemblies currently scheduled for Dec. 24th, 2011 and Dec. 31st, 2011.
    • 2. Eliminate the first “Intervention” step and the vote that follows it from the consensus process so that if a proposal is blocked in the first vote (following the discussion) the process goes straight to small group discussions.

 

General Assembly Minutes 3 DEC 2011 (1 PM)

Main Facilitator: Wayne. Stack: Ashley. Minutes: Joe

GENERAL DISCUSSION

PROCESS: Introduction to Consensus

  • The main facilitator explained our consensus decision-making process.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • Marleen Shepherd made an announcement on behalf of the Carbondale Interfaith Council. They would like us to know that they (along with other organizations) are currently drafting a statement of suport for the Occupy movement. They support Occupy Carbondale and are looking to help us.
  • Occupy Carbondale has been invited to speak at the Carbondale Human Relations Commission meeting Monday, Dec. 5th at 6pm at the Carbondale Civic Center. Several occupiers will be in attendance. Everyone is invited and encouraged to participate.
  • For anyone who wants should join the Occupy Carbondale google group, a piece of paper is being passed around to collect addresses.
  • Jason Shoot is running for WDBX Board of Directors. Become a WDBX member, and you will able to vote in the election.
  • The Alternative Gift Fair will be held at the Unitarian Fellowship from 3-6pm on Sunday, Dec. 3rd.
  • Anyone interested in Occupy Chicago’s meet and greet networking efforts can talk to/message Ashley.
  • There will be live music at the Occupy HQ (IMC 214 N. Washington) on Sunday, Dec. 3rd (late evening?). Proceeds from donations will go to pay for our facilities and a portion to the bands.
  • Peace Coalition need at least 32 people to attend next Saturday, Dec. 10th for a special Human Right’s Day peace vigil to hold signs featuring the declaration of human of rights from 12pm-1pm at the Town Square.
  • Occupy Carbondale will be demonstrating against austerity measures, corporate influence in government, and tax laws that favor corporations outside the Paul Simon Federal Building in Carbondale on Thursday between 12-1pm. Please join us!

PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: Seek a permit for the Thursday Federal Building Demonstrations

  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn
  • Discussion: While there was considerable support for the idea following the intervention stage of the consensus process, the proposer withdrew the proposal. People should be aware that we likely will not have a permit to demonstrate on Federal property, but are protected when demonstrating while walking in the sidewalk areas. Anyone is welcome to get a permit for the demonstration.

PROPOSAL: Adjourn

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

SUMMARY OF CONSENSUS

  • No new proposals reached consensus

General Assembly Minutes 26 NOV 2011 (1 PM)

Main Facilitator & Minutes: Matthew

GENERAL DISCUSSION

PROCESS: Introduction to Consensus

  • The main facilitator explained our consensus decision-making process.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • The 7th annual Alternative Gift Fair will be held next Sunday, Dec 4th from 3-6 pm.
  • There will be an art exhibit and demonstration focusing on Art therapy, “Art as Empowerment,” at the Women’s Center on Wednesday, Dec 1st at 7 pm.
  • A copy of a video of Occupy Carbondale members speaking at the New Humanist Forum has been given as a gift to the Media Committee.
  • A teach-in called, “In defense of the Public Sector,” is tentatively scheduled for Thurs, Dec 2nd at 7 pm at the Carbondale Civic Center.
  • A calendar is up and running on the google groups. Keep an eye out for it on the website!

PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: Give Peter autonomy to accept invitation from OccupyTogether.org and OccupyWallSt.org to participate in online radio station. This does not include any power over content or scheduling.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

PROPOSAL: Share a communique from a teacher in Oakland, CA on the Google Group.

  • Discussion: Facilitator clarified that this did not need to be a proposal.
  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn

PROPOSAL: Adjourn

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

SUMMARY OF CONSENSUS

  • Peter may communicate with OccupyTogether.org and OccupyWallSt.org in order to accept their invitation to participate in an online radio station on behalf of Occupy Carbondale.

General Assembly Minutes 23 NOV 2011 (7 PM)

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • The general strike taking place in England in protest of the austerity measures being proposed whereby the pensions of millions of Englishmen would be modified to a lesser value was announced.  Over 2,000,000 people from many many labor unions took place.  Thousands of protest actions were scheduled around the country.  More than 16,000 schools were closed as the teaching staff observed the strike.  Our message is growing all around the world.
  • The assertion that we need to re-establish an occupation site in public view was announced.

PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: Move the meeting location for General Assemblies to the public square at the junction of 13 and 51. 

  • Discussion: Following discussion around the cold weather outside versus the cold inside and the requirement for two GA’s to approve the change the proposer withdrew the proposal to be presented at a later assembly.
  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn

PROPOSAL: Adjourn in order to discuss the re-establishment of an occupied public space “in view” of the public.

  • RESPONSE: Consensus

SUMMARY OF CONSENSUS

  • No new proposals reached consensus

General Assembly Minutes 16 NOV 2011 (7 PM)

Main Facilitator: Nick. Stack: Kara. Minutes: Meghan

GENERAL DISCUSSION

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • No announcements made

PROPOSALS

PROPOSAL: Make the official name of the Triangle finger symbol “point of process.”

  • Discussion: Facilitator stated that this did not require a vote.
  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn

PROPOSAL: Have a press conference to inform the public about our happenings.

  • Discussion: Facilitator suggested an amendment to state that a future press conference would be authorized by the Media Committee. Then it was amended to prepare and do work for a future press conference, which does not require a vote at this time.
  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn

PROPOSAL: Give the Recreation Committee the freedom to put the Occupy Carbondale name on promotions with the ability for Occupy members to vote against the name being used for each specific Rec Comm event promotion.

  • Discussion: Facilitator clarified that is it always okay for committees’ to use Occupy Carbondale name for promotions.
  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn

PROPOSAL: Create a Speaker Bureau, which would consist of a small team of people of eloquent speakers of the group who would be able to speak about various topics to different audiences. Sarah L. offered to be a coach for these speakers and the education would include: speech making training, intensive
autodidactic learning, and possibly even create publications.

  • Discussion: Should be taken to the Outreach Committee
  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn

PROPOSAL: Reduce the amount of Committees and set a fixed number.

  • Discussion: We should be mindful of the number of committees in the future.
  • RESPONSE: Withdrawn

DISCUSSION

  • We had a discussion after the GA about Committees versus Working Groups. A Committee is USED TO ACHIEVE GOALS, it is NOT a social group. Practical achievement is important.

SUMMARY OF CONSENSUS

  • No new proposals reached consensus

Special Topic General Assembly November 13, 2011

There was a special topic general assembly without a formal facilitator held at 11:00 A.M. November 13, 2011 at the IMC.  This assembly was convened with the express purpose of considering the motion from the previous night’s General Assembly involving changes to our current General Assembly meeting structure.  This was the only topic for consideration at this meeting, no other proposals were presented or discussed.

It was with complete consensus that the previous assembly’s proposal to change our general assembly schedule from twice at day to twice per week passed.  The proposal changes general assembly times to Wednesday evenings at 7:00 P.M.  and Saturday afternoons at 1:00 P.M. to be held at the IMC facility.  Those present unanimously approved the previous assembly’s proposal thus fulfilling the requirement that structural change must pass two consecutive general assemblies.

The proposal has now passed two consecutive assemblies and is effective immediately.  The assembly adjourned with the next general assembly scheduled for November 16, 2011 at 7:00 P.M.