Occupy Carbondale will hold the next general assembly wed, March 21st at 7pm to reflect on the midwest regional conference and to coordinate for the Chicago summit.
OC Media & Tech Committee Meeting Minutes for 9-April-2012
Peter suggested the group get involved with setting up Mesh-net nodes
Distributed, free, internet replacement
Wayne mentioned needing help with the IMC Yard Sale
will hold a Thursday meeting at Gaia House
group decided on May 5th (Saturday)
Matt will make a flier for IMC Yard sale, needs to be distributed
it was suggested to have a yard sale at Makanda Spring Fest (?)
end goal is to get the IMC back room clean
back up plan of donating things Salvation Army
- good for community outreach
- it was suggested to have a reoccurring yard sale
Teach-ins for Occupy issues
Occupy Carbondale Radio
still broadcasts 12 -2 on Wednesdays
Wayne proposed a regular workday time for IMC stuff
Wednesday 4:30pm – 6:00pm start-time
Gaia House website workday(s)
Thursday 6pm, Sunday whenever
Getting Pyramid working on an Apache server (deployment)?
Announcements: reminder about the art and revolution teach-in happening this sunday the 25th.
short discussion about chicago g8. Need to coordinate people interested in going. a signup sheet has been started and is at the imc. It was suggested that we start a bail fund to have ready just in case. A suggestion was made that we use the money raised at the social forum but since we did tell people donating that the money was for the bills at the imc it may seem misleading to use it for another purpose.
Will has been involved with occupy chicago and offered to contact people there about what the plan is for that weekend.
We also need to see if we can get hooked up with places to spend the night since police will more than likely prevent any occupation with tents.
Jasmin mentioned having a teach-in beforehand to prepare people for direct action and safety measures, first aid, etc. Kara is compiling info on teargas and pepperspray that might also be helpfull. it would also be a good idea to get info on a persons rights during arrests. If anyone wants to help with this teach-in please contact jasmin or kara.
also discussed was the house of rep bill 347 (“anti protest bill”)that obama recently passed which makes protesting where an official protected by secret service is present a federal violation which will surely come into play during the g8
The Occupy Carbondale recreation committee is bringing Film Fridays back to the Big Muddy IMC. There will be a different movie each week to view and discuss. This is free and open to the public. Starts around 9pm every friday at the IMC, 214 N Washington St.
YOU ARE THE 99%. WE ARE THE 99%. OCCUPY.
We are the 99%, and we have occupied our own cities and towns all across the world! The Occupy the Midwest initiative seeks to take us beyond that. We seek to create new spaces to share information, resources, ideas, and express our solidarity together across the region. We want to give the people a resource to connect with others occupying space in a broader area.
Join us on March 15th-18th for a Midwest regional conference here in St Louis, MO.
We, the General Assembly of Saint Louis, in the spirit of solidarity call upon our brothers and sisters in occupied spaces across the country to join us in forming the Midwest Regional Summit. We feel that it is time for us to create new spaces to connect in; new ways to share knowledge, experience, resources, and to express our solidarity. St Louis is centrally located and has the space available to host an event of this size. We invite you to bring the spirit and culture of your occupation into a Midwest General Assembly.
We feel that connecting with each other is a vital step in elevating our movement to the next level. No single occupation can take on a task of this size alone. We encourage you to participate in the planning and execution of this event. There is a detailed execution plan attached directly following this invitation. Please join us on March 15th, 2012 at 7pm CST under the Gateway Arch for the first meeting of the Midwest General Assembly! We have chosen this site as our first meeting spot as it symbolizes much of what we are fighting for. The site on which it now stands used to be low income and working family housing. It was taken from these families in order to build this monument. We would like to meet there and propose that we rename this monument as the Gateway to Freedom!
The conference will last from March 15th-18th. During this time we will be commemorating the 6 month anniversary of the Occupy Movement with direct action. Additionally, our objectives for this gathering are to: Establish regional communication avenues to organize action and the sharing of resources Share best practices and learn from each other on how we can be more effective in our individual occupations Establish a Midwest General Assembly that any city in our region can call on moving forward Determine how we communicate and act in solidarity both regionally and nationally.
Please review this proposal and bring this invitation to your General Assembly for consideration and approval. Please state your interest in participating by 12/20/2011.
In a time when our solidarity is being tested on every front, we must stand together to show the world that the people united will NEVER be defeated. For all questions and correspondence (including stating interest in participating!!) please contact us at:: firstname.lastname@example.org or find us on facebook at occupy the midwest.
March 2-4 2012
Big Muddy IMC,
214 N. Washington
Updated Schedule and Speakers List:
Friday March 2
From Egypt to Little Egypt: The Origins of Occupy Wall Street
Speakers include Nick Smaligo from Occupy Carbondale, Abdo Solomon, and Sarah Lewison.
Film Screening: “Capitalism Hits the Fan”
Saturday, March 3
Seed Swap (at Town Hall)
The Struggle for Environmental Justice in Southern Illinois
Speakers include Mark Donham.
Brown Bag Lunch Discussion on “Direct Action”
Occupy Wall Street and the Fight Against Racism
Economic Crisis and Corporate Greed: Why Corporate Capitalism Doesn’t Work.
Speakers include Adam Turl (contributor to Socialist Worker Online) and Nick Smaligo (Occupy Carbondale
The Fires Last Time: Lessons of the 1930s and 1960s Social Movements.
Speakers include Prof. Robbie Lieberman and Prof. David Cochran
Party/Fundraiser and Art Auction
Sunday, March 4
We are the Media: Independent Media and the Occupy Movement
Speakers Include: Rich Whitney, former Green Party candidate for Governor of Illinois, Sarah Lewison (media professor).
Lunch Break + Intro To Linux Discussion
Occupy the Future: Alternatives to Corporate Capitalism.
Speakers include Tod Kington (Another Way), Peter Sussman (Occupy Carbondale), Paula Bradshaw (Green Party), Ken Strikkers, (professor of Philosophy), Adam Turl (Occupy Carbondale)
Occupy Gender: Patriarchy and Corporate Greed
Occupy Southern Illinois: The Past and Future of Our Struggles for Economic and Social Justice
Speakers Include: Carl Bloom (President of Graduate and Professional Student Council), Alex Kane and Montana Goodman (student protest organizers during the 2011 strike), Jyostna Kapur (SIU professor and rank-and-file Faculty Association member), Joe Hassert (founding member of Occupy Carbondale and member of GA United).
Resisting the Global 1 Percent: Stopping the GB and NATO
This event is free (donations accepted)
For more information e-mail email@example.com
or join us 7pm Wednesdays or 1pm Saturdays @ the Big Muddy IMC, 214 N. Washington
- Linux Teach-In moved back one week to February 11, 2012. Rationale: Give us more time to do research and prepare, advertise for teach-in.
- Discussed new, more realistic monthly schedule for teach-ins:
- week1: major teach-in
- week2: no teach-in (IT workday?)
- week3: discussion of week1 topic
- week4: no teach-in (IT workday?)
- Peter & Wayne talked with City Manager about Carbondale wireless. Here’s the scoop:
- Discussed tech news in the media:
- Megaupload taken down
- ACTA (booo!)
- EFF is hiring civil liberties intern! EFF.org
- Supreme Court rules that GPS tracking requires warrant according to Fourth Amendment.
- http://bigmuddyimc.org/ updated with new calendar page (Thanks Matt!)
- Occupy Radio project on haitus because they don’t have enough affiliates & therefore could not get sponsorship. Peter is working hard to get more Occupy groups involved, if anyone has the time and inclination, he could use your help!
- reminders of events this weekend- film showing friday at 7:30 will be “the Take”. Saturday the People’s Preliminary Hearing on Monsanto will be from 11am-3, potluck starts at 6, bands start at 8pm, Sunday the presentation starts at 2pm.
- the media/tech committee will be meeting on thursdays (instead of wed) 8:30 pm at the Gaia house. The teach-in on saturday went well and they are planning the next teach-in which will be on Linux
- Peter has been preparing for occupy radio and is looking for a team of about 7 people to help. Anyone interested please contact him.
- A newcomer, Will, just moved here from Chicago where he was involved in occupy. He wanted to mention that he is going to SIU and wants to get the rso: students for peace and democracy started again and is looking for students who would be interested.
- gaia house is really struggling to keep it’s doors open. they were very hospitable to us while we were occupying on campus and we should get involved in helping them. Anyone interested in helping them with some fundraising ideas would be much appreciated.
- anyone who wants to submit comments to the Shawnee Forest service about the proposed landswap can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- question of whether or not anyone is still protesting at the federal building and should we take it off the calendar? No one seems to be showing up anymore so it will be taken off the calendar.
- Will had posted several times on the occupy carbondale facebook page trying to get info about us and never got a response. It seems we need admins who are able/willing to put some time into the page. peter is going to add kara as an admin. Anyone else willing to step up and take over let us know.
- Suggestion was made for us to start planning for a big rally here in town in early spring to raise awareness of occupy carbondale and that we ARE still around.
- Occupy Chicago is hoping for a huge demonstration during the G8 and nato summits in May. We need to organize interested people from the area and hopefully get a group together to go up there for at least a few days.
- same with the midwest summit happening in stLouis in April? Both will be a great opportunity not only for direct action but also networking with occupiers in other places.
Peter attended a meeting at gaia house with the board members and he explained the situation is that they are down 62% of their funding. They are about a month and 1/2 from having to shut down. There is going to be a very important stakeholders meeting on Saturday Feb 18th and it was requested that occupy carbondale have a presence there. Since this is the time of our scheduled general assembly, peter proposed that:
on the day of feb 18th, we change the location of our general assembly to the Gaia house.
Some discussion: this is mostly a way to get more occupiers to be at gaia house for the meeting and is also a symbolic gesture of solidarity with gaia house, who was incredibly generous to the occupiers by giving us full accesss to their facilities while we were camping out on campus. We could just hold a quick GA at gaia and then join them for the stakeholders meeting.
Vote: all were in favor. (this change to our GA needs to reach consensus in another GA to be be officially passed. Peter will bring this to a vote again at this saturday’s GA)